Sunday, September 16, 2007

Books, books and more Books....

So since i have come to my site, 1 and a half months, i have managed to read 9 Books... Mind you that most of these books are not small either.. they are as follows.... :

The Naturalist- by edward o. wilson

The 7 spiritual laws of success- by Deepak Chopra

Homelands"Kayaking the Inside Passage"- by Byron Ricks

The Longest Memory- by Fred D'Aguiar

Skinny Legs And All- by Tom Robbins

The Supreme Court "The Personalities and Rivalries That Defined America" - by Jefferey Rossen

The Prophet- by Kahlil Gibran

Sex Lives with Canibals- by J Marten Troost

Getting Stones With Savages- by J Marten Troost

I think i have doubled my entire book reading of a lifetime in only 1 month and a half!!!!!

Went fishing last week.. not an kind of fishing like anyone else might think either... Went fishing using snorkeling gear at night and with an underwater flashlight and Makeshift Spear gun. It was maybe 10 o'clock at night when we first entered the water.. The rain was pouring down and i took my first steps into the water and assumed the snorkeling position... We basically walk sometimes then float sometimes but the entire time little Bio-Luminescent Phytoplankton are lighting up in the water so as to make it look like 100's of little stars are twinkling in the water.. We swim/walk along till we find a fish laying half asleep then shine the light fully on him/her and shot the spear at him/her. We then empty the fish into a container that we drag behind us that floats on the water.... Its a pretty amazing experience the first time you try it, although I'm sure it has become a little mundane for the villagers to do it as it is for sustenance. So after we were finished i took one fish, a "Timor Snapper", and set it in water to wait to be cooked until the next day, which i did in the same fashion that me and my Dad used to do it.
1. Fillet fish
2. Pulverize "Ritz" Crackers into a fine dust...
3. Roll the Fillets in the Cracker dust.
4. lightly oil a pan
5. fry fillets until lightly crisp on the outside.
6. EAT!!
It was delicious.....
I'm sure i will be doing it more often as well.......
and to those of you who are or have sent a package i thank you so much.. It means a lot , it really does...... every little bit helps here.....
I will do my best to keep in touch on what limited Internet time i have! Just know that if you write that i do see it and appreciate. It just might take me some time to get back.
Vina'a Va'a Levu
Moce
p.s. Is it TRUE?? tHE WOLVERINES SUCK THAT BAD THIS YEAR??? LOL

6 comments:

Kaila said...

The fish sounds great. The recipe you and your dad used is basically the same as mine, unless I use a beer batter. I’m a big fan of Lake Erie perch or walleye. However, lately I’ve been hooked on Tilapia. It is a real mild fish.
I’ve been doing a lot of reading lately too. I’ve read a few love stories, mysteries, and a true story about this mother and son killers. I just started reading True at First Light by Ernest Hemingway. I take spells when it comes to reading. I won’t read anything but magazines and newspapers for awhile then I switch to books. The problem is when I start reading books I can’t get anything done because I get so involved with the book I can’t put it down.
The weather turned cold over the weekend, but should get back up in the 80’s this week. Makes me happy, I hate cold weather.
Take care,
Kaila

Unknown said...

Hi,

I would worry about swimming at night. You never know what big fish (sharks) might creep up on you.

You know I always read a lot, but of course almost everything I read is fictional. Right now I am in the process of reading all the Harry Potter books.

Adam spent the weekend while Kimberly & Travis went to Cedar Point & to Amish Country. Had a really good time with Adam as usual. I worked on my flower beds & he was "helping". He was in the front yard for about 10 minutes raking the gravel driveway. The next thing I know he was on the front porch & when I asked what he was doing he said it was too hot out in the sun so he was sitting in the shade (it was probably about 75 degrees). So he finally went over to the apron to play because it was in the shade. Kimberly & Travis came back about 6 p.m. on Sunday & went back to Columbus shortly after.

Kimberly has her first job as an attorney, doing contract work for Verizon. She will be earning about as much in 6 weeks as I make in 6 months. Guess that's what a college degree will do for you.

We will be leaving in a little less than a month for our vacation to the northeast. Looking forward to the trip, just hope my feet will hold up to all the walking. Started walking on the treadmill last night to try to build up my stamina. Hope I can keep it up & not get lazy.

Butch & Corey put in my new laundry room door. It looks so much better & will be much better at keeping out the weather. They started working on George Fowler's house today. They're siding it & I think a deck on the back.

Not much else going on, our lives are so much more mundane than yours.

Gotta go.

Love you,

Mom

P.S. Have you received the packages yet?

voo said...

The Sex Lives with Cannibals is a crazy read sitting on an island surrounded by warm blue water. Hope you are doing great. I just moved to Berkeley for a job so I have been bad at the communication but loving the bay area right now. Are you rolling in that everlasting coaster of extreme ups and downs. Gratification topped with boredom, overlapped with purpose, surpassed by loneliness. The best part is that through all the extremes only one thing is unchanging- the fact that you are becoming a more complete human being. I love reading your posts. Be safe and kick some ass. Any cool projects?

Katie Beach said...

Michigan thought they looked good last week walking all over the Irish, but the Irish haven't scored an offensive touchdown this season AND their starting QB refused to ride the bus to Ann Arbor. He quickly transferred to Northern Illinois. Big Ten season opens today. Corey got a new truck...its black & silver. We have our first ultrasound on Tuesday. Did I tell you we got a new puppy? Her name is Scout. I promise a care package is coming shortly. Between a virus and bronchitis, I've been out of commission. We miss you tons...okay I miss you a little and Corey misses you a lot. He tried to call you, but the call didn't go through. I think I'll have to dial for him.

GO BUCKEYES!!!

Love,
Katie

Unknown said...

Hi,

Wrote you a note but somehow it got "lost".

Took your grandma Nola to Columbus yesterday for her birthday. Took us 2 hours to get to Kim's because of traffic jam. I would not want to drive that every day.

Leaving Oct. 13 for vacation w/Kimberly & Adam. Can't wait.

Going to try to call you sometime this weekend.

Gotta go. Hope everything is going well there.

Love,
Mom

Katie Beach said...

Matt-
I don't have an actual e-mail address for you so I cannot send you "Baby Beach's" first picture. Corey said if you look at the picture the legs/butt look like the head/face of a dog and the head looks like the bottom of the dog...did your aunt drop him on his head as a baby???

He really misses you. He has tried to call you, but the call hasn't gone through. I don't know if he's dialing correctly so I'll have him wake me up next time.

He got a doe in PA last week. Its been so unseasonably hot. Yesterday was our first dose of fall. It feels great. The Buckeyes are #3. USC dropped to #10 after losing to Stanford. USC was 40.5 pt. favorites! HA!

Corey wants to know if you got your tooth from the boat. He said he could picture you waiting for a boat kind of like Gilligan. You are almost 1/4 of your way done with Fiji. Time flies.

We both miss you. Take care,

Katie