Friday, November 2, 2007

ISA ISA........... Fiji

ok.. soooo.. Its been quite awhile since i have written last hasn't it.... Lets see if i can remember what all i have done in the last month.. Peace Corps washington sent out a Lady(Lynn)(This lady rocked... Cool as hell) to check on the Peace Corps Fiji program to see if Fiji needs more volunteers and in what sectors.....One of her Visits was to my site as well as my friend Nicks sites here on Taveuni.... we took her around to all of our Projects and showed her a fantastic time i hope.. I have a hard time believing that there is anywhere else in the world where the water is this Blue!!!! Not only that but one would never think how many different shades of Aqua and blue that could exist. I'm getting to know a lot of the fish by site now and some even by thier Fijian names.... I really am fearfull though at the amount of fishing/overfishing that occurs here in Fiji... Our Oceans are being devasted at a rate that even is amazing me.... I'm witnessing this first hand and i will be the first to admit that i do eat fish here when it is given to me... Its a real issue out here and i imagine now after seeing all this , the whole world as well..... Makes me sad.... But on a brighter note.. work is starting to pick up... I'm hoping to do some Customer Service and business training within my village as well as other villages too...There is a real lack of knowledge when it comes to running a bussiness properly here and i want to make sure i take care of that before i do my time here... I am also hoping to do some guide trainings as well with the marine Park Guides... I'm working on Securing a Grant for a new water System in my Village as well as starting to initiate a whole New venture for the Village. This new venture involves building 3 new Traditional Fijian bures next to the beach for Accommodations for the Tourists... My village is different in the fact that it is very remote and bush and would provide tourists with an opportunity that is truly hard to find here in Fiji, an authentic Village experience... and not only that but my Village is one of the most beautiful villages in all of Fiji.... So this all involves a lot of Planning, trainings , and monitoring so things will def be picking up in the near future....My Dog is doing good and it seems as if i have adopted a new dog as well.. her name is Zero... She is a good dog and is Tukai's sister... she was wasting away and i just couldn't stand to watch anymore.. I am getting scared i might have about 7 or 8 dogs before i leave! lolWe just had our early Service conference a couple days ago and come back to the main island again in3 weeks for In service training as well as Thanksgiving.....I've been snorkeling a few more times and everytime i go others see a shark but i have yet to see one.... I did get to see some more dolphins when i was out in the boat again a couple weeks ago.... I've also jumped off a couple more waterfalls as well... the water here is soooo refreshing and pure here .. at least on taveuni in ther remote parts it is..... Half of the Island is Virgin rainforest and is still in its original state as it was 1000's of years ago.. For a whole ecosystem like this to still be intact here on Fiji is amazing because so much of the Original environment has been destroyed.... So its nice to know it is here and protected... at least for the time being....Bure life is still the same... No electric.. Bugs.. Kids everywhere screaming at 6 in the morning and 6 at night.... and misc rat heads left on the counter as an offering to me from my oh so kind cat Yali.... She is sweet enough to offer yet i haven't quite figured out yet how to explain to her that it is not necesary.
3 more books have been read....
And go Buckeyes!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt-
Great to hear from you, I would enjoy knowing what Lynn from Washington had to say about her visit? Blue water? But the "Fiji Water" in the bottle that I drink is clear...Ha Ha.
Good to know work is picking up, Customer Service and training is a great skill to have where ever you go, even Vacation places:)Matt you are experiencing amazing things that only people dream about.
Finding pleasure and contentment in simple things!
Don't let the kids screaming upset you,just scream back! I't seems to work for me, most of the time.
The Buckeyes... No. 1-ranked Ohio State they play Wisconsin today Saturday Nov. 3rd at 12:00.
Later,
Stephanie

Katie Beach said...

Matt-
Things here are going well. The Buckeyes had a great showing in unhappy valley despite Paterno's attempt to have a white out. We are looking better each week. Hopefully today's game is a continuance of OSU's dominance. Corey has gotten two does so far, Smoke one. Chad fell into Apple Valley while fishing with Corey in October...Corey said it was too funny to photograph. Hoar has a great story involving his neighbor Tequila Dave...maybe Corey can tell you in a telephone call. We can find out what we are having at the end of the month, but I really don't want to know. Corey & I cannot agree on ANY names. I've decided I'll name the baby whatever I want and he can deal with it. Ha!

We miss you...Corey especially. Take care and enjoy the wonderful scenery.

Unknown said...

Hi,

I'm still checking out the lantern thing. Will get with Nathan to see if he is still interested.

Kimberly, Travis, and Adam are coming over tomorrow to watch the "Wizard of Oz" Guess we're having a little "OZ" get together. Nola is coming and maybe Barb. Should be fun.

Maybe you need to be more observant when you are in the water; wouldn't want any sharks sneaking up on you.

Well better get going. Love and miss you.

Love,
Mom

Katie Beach said...

Corey said it was nice hearing your voice after 6 months. He finally got the courage to ask if he could call international. Evidently when he tried with the cell phone it didn't cooperate. Loved the most recent text message. He is with Beef, Debo & the Millers for the game. I got left out since I'm feeling a tad under the weather. I vote pregnancy stinks. There is nothing magical about feeling like crap. Your cousin misspoke...I do not want to know what we are having. I do however want to know what kind of crazy ass names Corey is coming up with.

Go Buckeyes!

Love,
Katie