Friday, May 30, 2008

I'm gonna miss my village and my friends...

Well as some of you know and some of you may not know, i decided in Mid April to Leave the Peace Corps and return to the United States. This was a decision that was not entered into lightly. I agonized and agonized over this decision and it was the MOST difficult decision i have had to make to this date..... I miss my village tremendously ever day more than anyone could imagine.. I left behind an amazing group of people in my village as well as an amazing group of Friends and fellow volunteers back in Fiji as well.... It is easy to just sit and write words on a computer and claim that i feel this way but i assure you that not 1 day that has gone by since i have left Fiji that i don't think about the beautiful people and friends i left behind...... I miss my village, my dog, the ocean, the animals, the kids, the bus rides, the crappy Fiji Bitter beer and Bounty Rum. Yea i am sad in so many ways... Did i make the right decision? Time will tell.. i can only tell you that the reason i did leave was to come back to the United States to be with an amazing and beautiful woman. To spend another year without such an amazing person was just going to be too hard on me but on her as well.. I had 2 people to think about i guess....
I hope those of you who read this will understand and not think less of me.... I will never forget Fiji and fully intend to go back to see my people in my village one day as they had become like a family to me.... When i left Fiji i was the happiest i had ever been since i had arrived in Fiji... I didn't leave because i wasn't happy.. i have nothing bad to say about anything, my experience or the people there.... I had everything a human being could ever want there in Fiji.....
I will live with Fiji in my heart for the rest of my life... It is part of who i am now................

1 comment:

rococo said...

You are a douche! There, I said it. From what I can tell, you entered the Peace Corps for extremely selfish reasons and have validated this assumption by flaking out on your commitment. Instead of really, fully contemplating what the experience would require of you before setting off, you thought about how cool it would be to tell everyone what you were doing and gain their esteem through "your adventure." However, when the experience got really difficult and you were presented with the opportunity to truly look within and grow, you ran away. People like you are why the Peace Corps tries to be thorough by making the entry process less than easy as you complained about in your earlier blogs. Hate to be the one to say it but you let the people in your village, your fellow volunteers, family & friends, and yourself down. Hopefully, you have since come to this realization on your own and have grown to be a less self-centered person, but I can't help but be frustrated when reading through all of your entries. To me you missed the point of what you were setting out to do, not to mention what the Peace Corps purpose is all about! In the process you remained just as lost a soul as before. Anyway, I truly am not trying to be a jerk here, just honest about the emotions I have as a result of reading through your entries.