Friday, June 1, 2007

Bula Vinaka...~

So for all of you who thought FIJI was paradise well let me tell you.. After your first Bucket bath and first 1000 misquito bites and the insane humidity you might not think the same !!!
It is truly an alien world here.. I go to church all the time, have no running water and live with a host family of about 7 and have about 30 cousins aunts and uncles....
I live in a small village of about 80 people called Muana I Ra(Sp?).. Its a methodist community.. I have 2 brothers 23 and 27, and 2 sisters.. not sure how old they are.. maybe 20's? And i have a cat named Mini and a dog named Tailevu... My brothers are Netava and Sekeli. My mom is Mereami and my dad is Jolame.. My sisters are Merama and Ranadi.... I have no running water so i take Bucket baths everyday and it is hot as hell and its only the cool dry season! lol(It still rains almost every day...) With all that said my new family is great.. They feed me way too much!!!!! So i run every other morning.
My address here in Fiji is :
Peace Corps/FIJI
Private Mail bag
Suva, FIJI
SOUTH PACIFIC
I hope everyone is doing good and please feel free to write me on what is new in the world as i have no idea what has been happening the last couple weeks...!!!
Sota Tale... Moce.....
Matthew
p.s. I will try to get some pictures up soon but this internet cafe connection is way too slow.....

3 comments:

Katie Beach said...

Matthew-
We are glad to see you are enjoying your new life. Paradise is the other side of the island...lol. Enjoy your Gilligan adventures and your good deeds. We look forward to pictures and updates.

Love,
Katie & Corey

Unknown said...

So how is the language thing going? Does everyone speak English? Are you picking up Fijian? Have you started PC training yet? What are you doing with your days?

I've been a little bored lately what with the air conditioning and the new plasma screen and all. (Heh heh)

Keep us posted, adventure boy.

Love and smoochies,
Kim

Unknown said...

Matt,

I'm trying to find you on Google Earth - wear something bright and wave at the sky!

I found 2 Muanaira's (one near Laucala and one near Nasilai and Vunivatu Bay) and one Muana-i-Ra (which, according to the coordinates I have, looks like it's 3 ft under water). Are you on the same island as Suva?

I'm glad to hear you're a regular church-goer, now. Absolutely nothing new is going on in the rest of the world - you're not missing anything.

Take care,

Travis