Friday, June 15, 2007

FIJI Fun.....~

So here i sit at an internet Cafe in Suva, FIJI. First day in the big city after having been in my remote village for the first few weeks..!!!
Internet is $5 an hour here(about $3 U.S.) but seems like alot with our allowance, lol. i've been swimming in the ocean a few times now as i will take a jog down to the beach and back and when i get to the beach i usually take a swim or do some lame attempt at body surfing since i have no board... I usually have class all week long with my fellow PC trainees and then sometimes at night i drink Grog(i.e Yaqona, Kava) till i about fall asleep..! lol The stuff tastes like crap and pretty much just makes your head into a fog. The language is coming along ok but i'm still not the best.. I can actually form sentences now and tell people where i am going and where i have been and what things i like and want , plus i can count past 100 in Fijian now. I am visiting and staying in a remote Village in the interior part of FIJI next week called Namosi Village. You might be able to find out some things about it if you do a google search but i'm not sure. It has dramatic beautiful waterfalls from what i hear along with dense Jungle. Guess i will find out. Life isn't always easy here that is for sure.. Waking up in the morning and pouring that first Ice cold bucket of water over my head is still something that takes getting used to. That and the million bug bites i have. Hopefully i will be able to make it to one of the reefs soon to do some skin diving and maybe get some underwater pictures.. I really am working on getting pictures up and on the internet but just understand i am dealing with 3rd world computers and internet speeds here. I hope everyone is doing great back home in the states!!!!

3 comments:

Katie Beach said...

Sounds like a fantastic journey. Corey caught a foul ball at the Tribe/Braves game Saturday, which was on FOX as the Game of the Week. Grandma Billie said she saw him...who knows. Ohio is hot and no rain. As I enjoy my refreshing drink and central air, I will try to have a pity party (lol). Miss you tons.

Love,
The Cousin-in-Law

nbncan said...

Howdy from the great white north! Actually, its beautiful here in Toronto right now, about 80-85 degrees during the day, and 60-65 at night. I've been taking every Friday off, building a new deck and fence for the back yard. Almost done, just need to add the steps. But I'm getting a great tan! I've also lost 42 pounds so far...

We leave Thursday for the cottage, and I'll definitely be thinking of you while I'm swimming and skiing in the lake. And at night, when there are a billion stars visible in the sky. I wonder if any of the same constallations are visible from Fiji? Probably not.

I am so very proud of you Matt. While most of us are going about our daily grind, racking up debt, feeding the corporate beast, etc... you are in another part of the world, doing something rewarding and worthwhile. What great stories you'll have for your grandchildren some day!

I saw the address to write to, so I'll send a letter within the next couple of weeks. Probably after the cottage.

You mentioned the heat and the bugs - how about the sunburn???

Cousin Nate

Isis Leeor said...

Hmmmm...I was thinking of suprising you one day with a visit, but I don't know about those bugs! They seem to have a special attraction to me too...

Sounds like you are having all sorts of adventures! I'm sending you warm thoughts on your journey.

Isis