Friday, June 29, 2007

Bula... Au sa tiko mai Nasouri, en a Internet Cafe. Au na gunu bia yakavi levu. Hello, i am in an internet cafe in Nasouri. I will be drinking beer late this afternoon.!Just sharing a little of the language with ya'll......So i thought i might take this time to let you know more about my daily life...So usually i wake up around 6 am everyday and have breakfast which my Host mom(Nau) has already prepared for me.. Most time it is something like Bread and butter with bannana's(Jaina)(Pronounced"CHI-E-Na") or Papaya and bannanas or oatmeal type stuff with powdered milk, or Vundi(Plantain) which are basically HUGE bannanas and taste so good right off the tree.Then most days i go off to language training with my LCF(Language teacher) and the other KaiValangi's(White people/ peace corp Volunteers) in my village...There are 4 of us total that stay in my Host village.. Me, Carina, Joe, and teri.Language lasts until about noon.. Then its home to have lunch already prepared by my host mom or sister..... A lot of days it is things like fish(with the heads still on), roro(Giant boiled leaves of the Dalo Plant which is a root crop) this is often time served in a coconut milk type concoction called Lolo. Some times Chop Suey. , rice, mangrove crabs and lobster, and the root crops(Dalo, Tavioca, Sweet potatoes,and yams.. Not like the ones you think of back in the states either).... They like to have Tea at every meal but i have managed to tell my family that i don't like the tea so they never give it to me any more but they do still offer it... So moslty i just drink water at every meal and that is it.. On a rare occasion i will drink fresh guava juice that was made with guava fresh off the trees....After lunch, its off to peace corp functions and workshops with other PCT"s(Peace Corp trainees)... This usually is over by 5 or 6, but sometimes the villages that we are in having the workshops like to have dances and grog sessions for us.... Basically what this means is sitting around and having lots of Yaqona(YANG-GO-NA) and having the village woman ask us to dance constantly... It can be very entertaining since thier idea of dancing is way different than ours...... Then its back to home where even if i get in late my mom or sister is waiting up for me to feed me... I never wash any of my clothes or cook yet.. the woman here do everything domestic and then men nothing other than the handy work like building and maintaining things.... Each Village has a Mayor(Turanga ni Koro) and a chief.. My host dad is the Chief of my village... But my family rocks.. they take great care of me..... And i am usually in bed by 9 pm most nights.... WAYYYYY different than i am used to and it has def been an adjustment to get used to after 10 years of staying up till after midnight each night......So i am going to come up with a wish list of things i could really use so if any of you can find it in your heart to send me anything it would rock!!!! They will be simple things most of them... If not no biggie..... I'll keep you updated....Till next time!!
Peace out,
matthew

2 comments:

Katie Beach said...

America Update: Paris out of jail, Lindsay probably in jail as well as Nicole Ritchie. Britney is fighting with her white trash mother about how to rear children. Local Update: The Kuhlman's had a baby boy named Brady.

I think Trav is right about the Peace Corps new objective...party until the USA gets new allies. The British have a new prime minister who was welcomed with one foiled terrorist attack and a flaming truck crashing into the Glasgow, Scotland airport. NICE. What a world we live in.

I love that you practically have servants...handyman my ass. What a different world Fijians live in. I can't let Corey see this blog or he might demand changes in our domestic government...you know the one where I'm dictator.

As we close in on our 1st anniversary, I thought I would invite you home to camp with us. The anniversary night wouldn't be complete without you & Andrea...LOL.

Love you Matt...I'd say sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite, but that just seems cruel.

Peace,
Katie

Unknown said...

It sounds like your host family and the people in your village are alright. I'm glad to hear they're taking good care of you!

Kim was just wondering what we could send you in a care package. She had bought some Little Debbie treats to send, but I ate them. They probably would have been stale by the time she sent them out, and I want you to have only the best. Let us know if there is anything your host family might like, as well.

It sounds like the language is coming along. Are you to the point where you're no longer speaking English to the other volunteers? Do you have a better idea of what you will be doing when the training is complete?

Take care,

Trav